Sunday, March 8, 2015

Nice Buns!

Is there a better smell in the world than fresh baked bread?  I don't think so!  Ok, maybe the smell of a man wearing Calvin Klein Obsession, yummmm..................Focus Girl! Focus!  Your 1990's is showing.

Sorry about that!  Let's get back to the bread.  I grew up in a place and time that homemade breads were the norm.  I can't remember ever having store bought until moving to Ontario.  Every weekend I would be enticed from wherever I was in the house (or even outside if I was close enough in the yard) by the smell of fresh bread baking either at home or at one of my grandparents houses.

When I came across this recipe for hamburger buns from a Taste of Home ( http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns ) I thought I'd give it a go.  I love the fact that it doesn't take hours and hours of rising, punching, rising, etc.....Although I did tweek it a little and my edits are the ones that I've listed.  If you want to try the original click on the link above.



Ingredients:

2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
1 cup + 2 tbsp Warm Water (110*F - 115*F)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/8 + cup Sugar* (I used a little more sugar than 1/8th cup probably around 1/6th cup.  Honestly I scooped out the 1/4 cup that the original directions called for and poured what I thought would be enough to achieve a less sweet bun.  I edited it because it just seemed like A LOT of sugar for this recipe)
1 Egg
1 tsp Salt
3 - 3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add oil & sugar; let stand for 5 - 10 minutes -  You want the yeast to be nice and frothy.  Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft yet slightly sticky dough - I used closer to the 3 cup mark for the flour but it all depends on your location and humidity for the exact amounts.

2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 - 5 minutes.  Do NOT let rise.  Divide into 8 equal pieces and shape each into a ball.  Place 3 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.

3. Cover with a dish towel and let rest for 10 - 15 minutes.  Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 8 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Now will this be the ultimate bun recipe for my house?  I don't know.  It was very good but a little heavy.  It will be the one I'll turn to when time is of the essence.  But I'll will be experimenting with others.  Don't touch that dial!

Stay Sweet!
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment