Sunday, March 8, 2015

Nice Buns!

Is there a better smell in the world than fresh baked bread?  I don't think so!  Ok, maybe the smell of a man wearing Calvin Klein Obsession, yummmm..................Focus Girl! Focus!  Your 1990's is showing.

Sorry about that!  Let's get back to the bread.  I grew up in a place and time that homemade breads were the norm.  I can't remember ever having store bought until moving to Ontario.  Every weekend I would be enticed from wherever I was in the house (or even outside if I was close enough in the yard) by the smell of fresh bread baking either at home or at one of my grandparents houses.

When I came across this recipe for hamburger buns from a Taste of Home ( http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns ) I thought I'd give it a go.  I love the fact that it doesn't take hours and hours of rising, punching, rising, etc.....Although I did tweek it a little and my edits are the ones that I've listed.  If you want to try the original click on the link above.



Ingredients:

2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
1 cup + 2 tbsp Warm Water (110*F - 115*F)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/8 + cup Sugar* (I used a little more sugar than 1/8th cup probably around 1/6th cup.  Honestly I scooped out the 1/4 cup that the original directions called for and poured what I thought would be enough to achieve a less sweet bun.  I edited it because it just seemed like A LOT of sugar for this recipe)
1 Egg
1 tsp Salt
3 - 3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add oil & sugar; let stand for 5 - 10 minutes -  You want the yeast to be nice and frothy.  Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft yet slightly sticky dough - I used closer to the 3 cup mark for the flour but it all depends on your location and humidity for the exact amounts.

2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 - 5 minutes.  Do NOT let rise.  Divide into 8 equal pieces and shape each into a ball.  Place 3 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.

3. Cover with a dish towel and let rest for 10 - 15 minutes.  Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 8 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Now will this be the ultimate bun recipe for my house?  I don't know.  It was very good but a little heavy.  It will be the one I'll turn to when time is of the essence.  But I'll will be experimenting with others.  Don't touch that dial!

Stay Sweet!
Tammy