Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Philly Cheese Steak Pizza

First of all let me apologize to the citizens of Philadelphia. I have never been your amazing city but I would like to.  I hope I don't offend the true cheese steak purists too much with my rendition of their iconic sandwich in a pizza form.  See, my exposure is limited to a Canadian take on it (and I've added a little cheater) and while what we serve up here in the Great White North is completely excellent, I have no clue how close it is to the real thing. I will, one day, find out!  Let's get started,shall we?

Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
 (my way)


Ingredients:

Pizza Crust (ready made or homemade)
1/4 cup Corn Meal, optional
1/2 medium Onion, sliced
1/2 medium Green Pepper, sliced
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup Ranch Dressing
1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese (grated) or Provalone (sliced), (I would have loved to use to use the Provalone but I only had Mozzarella on hand)
1/2 cup Garlic & Herb White Cheddar, grated
6 Slices of Roast Beef Sandwich meat, cut into short strips - this is my cheater :D


Directions:

1. Prepare the crust if needed. I've made mine from scratch but a store bought ready made will work just fine as well. If you do use a homemade crust I suggest using the corn meal as a base,especially if you use a pizza stone - this will make transferring the pizza to the stone much easier.



2. Preheat your pizza stone in a 400*F oven or as directed by your crust recipe.

3. Saute the onion, peppers, mushrooms in a little butter or oil until they just soft.



4. Add the ranch dressing to the crust as your sauce and spread for a nice even layer. I like very little crust on my pizza so I take the sauce almost right to the edge.  The less crust the more toppings!


5. While your veggies are sauteing grate your cheeses and slice up the roast beef if you haven't done so already.  Please ignore the cheddar in the picture - Daughter B prefer's just cheese pizza so I made her an individual 3 cheese pizza.



6. Now it's time to assemble.  Spread out the sauteed veggies in a nice even layer over the ranch dressing and fill any spots with the sliced roast beef.  Top everything with the cheeses.


7. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes on a pizza stone or 15 - 20 on a regular pizza pan.  You want the crust to brown & puff up and the cheese to melt into a bubbly mess. Enjoy!


Stay Sweet!
Tammy


No comments:

Post a Comment