Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lunch box fixes

My girls aren't really picky eaters, they'll try about anything but packing their lunches has always been a bit of a struggle.  They don't like sandwiches.  Sure they'll have the odd grilled cheese but offer them up a ham & cheese, roast beef, turkey, etc sandwich they politely decline ( OK, I'm kidding on the politely thing, well at least for me anyway.  I'll get the look saying "Are you f-ing kidding me Mom").

What's a mom to do?

The hubster and I stumbled on to Bruscetta bagels at the grocery store in the bakery department one day and thought we'd give them a try.  Well the girls gobbled them up like they were going out of style.  Costing about $1.50 each, it was really adding up on the ole budget.  I thought to myself 'These are so basic.  I should be making them myself.'.

On my next shopping adventure I was determined to gather everything I needed to make these little suckers myself.  The bagels,cheese, butter, & tomato of course were easy peasy to find.  Buuuuuut the seasoning caused me some concern.  Off to the spice aisle I head to track down something suitable.  I thought with the popularity of regular bruscetta and there has to some sort of spice blend available, my local Independent (Loblaws) has never let me down before.  There's always a first time & this was mine - nothing specifically labeled for bruscetta :( .

So there I stand with fevered determination to find the perfect blend.  I must have been standing there reading every label for ten minutes when I picked up the Holy Grail of spices.......President's Choice Blue Menu Sun-Dried Tomato & Herb seasoning blend.  I carefully read the label and thought " Yup, sounds about right" When in all honesty I had no clue - I'd never made it before.  But in my cart it went and I've never looked back.

So, without further ado.  Here's how make these taste morsels.

Bruscetta Bagels


What you'll need:



1 bag of bagels 
1 Large Tomato, a meaty variety like beefeater works best
1/4 cup Butter (or margarine), at room temperature
2 cups Marble Cheese
1/2 tbsp Blue Menu Sun Dried Tomato & Herb seasoning.

The assembly:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 350*. 
2. Combine the seasoning blend and butter.  I just use a fork and smash it together.  Set aside.
3. Shred and slice all the other ingredients as required.  Just a tip most packaged bagels come pre-sliced at least partially through.
4. Lightly butter each half of the bagels with the seasoned butter.  
5. Place a slice of tomato on each and put on your baking sheet.
6. Add generous amounts of your shredded cheese on top of the tomato.
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
8. This part might scare some but trust me it's necessary. Crank up your oven to broil (500*) without opening the oven door.  Turn on your oven light and keep a close eye inside - this isn't the best time for a pee break - you're going to have to hold it..  You only need to keep this temp for up to 5 minutes - you're looking for the cheese to brown up a bit.  Once it does remove right away.
9. Place on a cooling rack promptly or else the grease & butter will absorb into the bagel and make it soggy.
10. Once completely cooled, place in a storage container, and refrigerate.  These are great cold but you you pop them in to the microwave for 20 seconds for a warmer treat.

I hope this helps you if you or yours get tired of the same old sandwich.

Enjoy & stay sweet!

Tammy








No comments:

Post a Comment